Friday 14 September 2007

Finally my New Lid

After two weeks of waiting, today I finally received my new Arai XD helmet. I need to celebrate. I decided to order it at the end of August from Motocross Giant, a store based in Los Angles and have it shipped to Garrys here in Mexico City, the idea being that i could arrive here and pick it up. Unforunately things didnt quiet work out that way. Despite my instructions to send the lid by overnight DHL, the guys in LA sent the Arai by regular mail. So two weeks later after daily calling the postoffice here said we should go to the local office and have a look. So we set off to miramontes to the postoffice.
But well bureaucry is an understatement. Everything is recorded in paper ledgers! the woman looks up a book, not there, tries another, then another, then asks someone else, and 40 mins later comes back and asks what is your postcode. So a quick call to the language school and we get the number. Ah no.. you are in the wrong office you have to go to another one! so armed with this new info, we find the next place, again its look up the ledger time.. and after a conversation with another postal worker, they decided it would be good to check the computer! then its oh yes its here! YES! time to celebrate, finally two weeks later the lid is here. But this isnt quiet there yet, so after some searching in the store room they come back with the helment, and the bill for the customs duty! double taxation! US and Mexican tax! not fair. Also had to sign a million pieces of paper, and mark in the famous ledger. But I am not complaining, now i have my new lid, and i must say its amazing! much quieter, more comfortable and lighter, I feel safer already.
Also I have had the added bonus of two weeks in Mexico city, and the opportunity to meet some wonderful people.

No comments: