Thursday 9 August 2007

Baja Mexico, and meeting more riders


So early Sunday morning I said my goodbyes to Ocean Beach and once again set off into the distance. It actually took me two attempts to legally get into Mexico. First time I just drove on through! Que Raro!! Decided this was too easy and I probably needed a visa, so I turned around went back through the US post and went in again. This turned out to be a good idea as i found out I also needed to surrender my US Visa. So on the 2nd attempt stopped and customs and got the visa sorted for me, for the bike you need a different paper, from a different office!
Once directions were obtained I made my way once again to Tijuana and after a brief scurry the wrong way up a one way street, the said office was located! Great Success!! Then came the fun part as they say. God the Mexicans love bureaucracy. So after an hour of fotocopies and stamps and trips back and fourth across the forecourt, oh and giving my opinion on U2 the Cranberries, and explaining that Sophie Elis Bexter is actually English, the permit was obtained and I was ready to rock and roll! I really pity people who have to do this and don’t speak Spanish. The drive along Mex 1 is nice once you leave Tijuana, It actually at first quiet reminded me of parts of Tenerife, there is even a town called Bajamar. The further south you go it gets more desert like, but there are some really great views of the Pacific Ocean along the way. Once one heads inland with the road the landscape is totally barren, just a wide variety of Cactai of all shapes and sizes. At the end of my first day I passed a signpost saying next petrol station 315km’s this was my sign to stop for the night, so I found a nearby B&B. To my surprise Meave and Paul, two other Irish riders also on BMW’s had stayed here 4 days before me.
Decided to try and catch them so the next day rode to Mulege and by 10 am the following morning I had found them at their hotel just south of Loretto! So now we are all in La Paz sitting around for a day or so before catching the ferry to Mexico mainland. But now breakfast calls so more updates later.

No comments: