Thursday 9 August 2007

San Diego and Surfing


When in LA I started looking for fellow riders on advrider.com heading south into Mexico. At this time there was no one, but Don Toporski, from San Diego who has been many times contacted me with advice. So I set off for Ocean Beach San Diego. I stayed at the hostel there which was really rather good, with a good mix of people. The journey from LA is only 2 hours, which at this stage is just a Sunday drive. On the first night I ended up chatting with a former british soldier who had served in Northern Ireland, and Aussie over for a University conference. So we had to have some drinks. Ocean Beach is fairly quiet at night but that didn’t stop us getting thrown out of one bar! I guess I should learn to keep my mouth shut. American Bouncers really have no sense of humour.. and certainly don’t get Sarcasm! C’est la vie. The real fun is to be had in the Gas Lamp district, 5th Ave downtown San Diego, where we went on the second night, lots of very dressed up people. So we caught a film (Bourne Ultimatum is really good guys!!) and followed with dinner and a few pubs.
Following morning I had dinner with the local BMW club, nice bunch of guys, but all in their 50’s or so, normal BMW profile. After went through the maps with Dan and got the low down on Baja and the rest of Mexico! Now all set for the great unknown.
While in San Diego I couldnt miss the opportunity to do some surfing , and with some cheap boards available from the Hostel, we grabbed two from the lovely vania and tried our hands at catching some waves! Boy its harder than it looks! worst bit is paddling back out after surfing in. Really develops those upper shoulder muscles! I'd be pretty fit if i did it every day. I did manage to get upright once or twice and stay on the wave, but maybe it was more falling with style than actual surfing! fun none the less. But at least i have now lost the snow man look and have a nice toasty back!

No comments: